Who doesn’t like cake? Layer, pound, torte, sponge, flourless, yeast, bundt, chiffon, and of course birthday. Don’t get me started on flavours. We could be here all day. Cake is so beloved that there’s very little room to trod new territory. But what about a savoury cake? Is that a “thing”?
The French have been keen on the savoury cake for a while. Go to any posh Parisian bakery and you’ll find savoury cakes called cake salés. A French cake salé is typically served as an hors-d’oeuvre to be enjoyed with an aperitif.
There are savoury quick bread recipes to turn to at teatime or cocktail hour. So when do you suppose we should serve this culinary anomaly? Not for dessert, obviously.
While it’s true that a savoury cake seems a logical choice served with an egg at brunch or a side salad at lunch. I’d rather you consider my Savoury Carrot Cake as the centrepiece of a hearty dinner. Treat it as you would any main course and set it next to roasted potatoes, simply prepared vegetables, and a glass of wine.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour (almond flour for keto option)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups carrot puree
- 1½ cups plus ¼ cup finely grated Gruyère cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 180° Celscius. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in carrot puree, 1½ cups cheese, and thyme.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring well to combine. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup cheese and pepper onto top of batter. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool on wire rack.
This is truly the best carrot cake with its outstanding spice flavour and super moist crumb.